WebCT 4.1 Tutorial
Logging on to “My WebCT” for the First Time
Read and follow these instructions closely to access WebCT and your class web pages
WebCT requires the following Operating Systems and Web Browsers to work properly
•Windows 98 (Second Edition), Windows 2000, or Windows XP operating systems
•Mac® OS 9.x, OS 10.1.x, or OS 10.2.x operating system software
WebCT supports the following operating systems and browsers (note AOL users must use the versions indicated below of the AOL browser or open another supported browser while in an AOL session):
Windows 98 (Second Edition), Windows 2000, and Windows XP
Mac OS 9.x
Mac OS X 10.1.x
Mac OS 10.2.x
Web Browser Settings (Cache/Temporary Internet Files)
Cache/Temporary Internet Files Settings
In Microsoft Internet Explorer:
1. Go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options. This will open a window with several tabs to select from.
2. Choose the General tab if it is not already selected. Under General you will see a section entitled Temporary Internet Files.
3. Select Settings.
4. Under "Check for newer versions of stored pages", select “Automatically” or “Every visit to the page”.
5. Click on OK to exit the Settings.
6. Click on OK to exit the Internet Options.
In Netscape Navigator:
1. Go to the Edit menu and select Preferences.
2. Under the Category window on the left, select the + box next to Advanced. This will open that section and reveal two sub categories, Cache and Proxies.
3. Select Cache. The Cache section will appear in the right part of the window.
4. Under “Compare the page in cache to the page on the network” select “Automatically” or "Every time I view the page".
5. Click on OK to finish.
In AOL 7.0+
Locating the NWACC WebCT Server
After your browser is set up properly you can proceed to the WebCT server at NWACC. The URL for this server is:
Logging Into Your WebCT Global Account
When you browse to the WebCT site your course account should already be setup through our system from when you registered for the course. Your WebCT ID and Password are created based on information in our system.
To log on to WebCT select the link on the WebCT main page that says “Log in to my WebCT”.
This will bring up the log in page. Your username and password are set up as follows:
WebCT ID: The first letter of your first and the first 2 (two) letters of your last name (lower case only) followed by the last 5 (five) digits of your Student ID number (your Social Security number or the number Student Services assigned you if you do not have or use a SS# as your ID).
(Note: A few user IDs were not able to be configured to this format. If the above format does not work for you, try the following – your first initial followed by up to seven letters of your last name, no spaces, all lower case. If this does not work either, contact the Distance Learning department.)
Password: Your password will be the first 6 digits of the PIN you use to access EagleNet to enroll online in courses. If you do not know your PIN, call (479) 619-4396
(Note: If you are a Wal-Mart Employee enrolled in the NWACC “My Education Connection” please refer to the online documentation for your password information).
Example: Jane Doe, whose Student ID# is 123456789 and whose PIN is 001122 would log in as follows:
WebCT ID: jdo56789
Logging in takes you to your myWebCT page.
After logging in you will arrive at the myWebCT page. This page contains links to all of your courses, which will have already been added. To go to a course, all you need to do is click on the link for that course in the Courses listing. If your course is based on materials created by the textbook publisher for the course you may need to take an additional step (see Publisher Courses below).
In addition to your course links, your myWebCT page has a number of other useful features:
Some online courses that use publisher web based materials and require students to purchase the proper materials for the online course from the bookstore. These materials consist of the textbook(s) and an Access Code that you will need to enter the online course pages.
After adding your course, if the course requires an access code you will receive a message indicating that you will need to use it. To do this, complete the following steps (the process may be slightly different depending on the publisher):
1. Click on “use it” under the section reminding you of the Access Code.
2. Read the license agreement and select “Agree”. If you select “Disagree” you will not be able to enter the course.
3. Enter your Access Code in the box provided. Please note that the Access Code should not include spaces, even if there are spaces shown on your copy. However, if there are dashes, enter the dashes. Also remember to enter the code as case sensitive. Use CAPS and lowercase where shown.
4. Click the Register button.
5. You should receive a message indicating that the Access Code was accepted. If not, you will need to try again to make sure the code was entered properly.
6. Upon receiving the acceptance message, click on Go to Course.
WebCT has a number of tools and features that help students communicate, learn, submit assignments, and organize their time. Some of the more common ones are listed below (Please note that not every course uses these tools):
Where to go for more Assistance and Information
If you run into difficulties you can contact the Distance Learning Department in the following ways:
By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
By phone: (479)619-4382
On the WWW: http://www.nwacc.edu/disted (see the Online Support Pages for WebCT help)
WebCT maintains a large web site with numerous help and support documents:
And don’t forget that once you have your WebCT ID and Password there are HELP pages on the server as well. Just go to the myWebCT page and click on “Help” in the top right corner of the window.
Good luck in your classes and I hope you will enjoy this new and exciting learning opportunity!
Distance Learning Coordinator, NWACC